Learning Paths are a feature within the LMS allowing you to use its content focussed aspects such as Courses, Events and Quizzes, linking them all into targeted syllabi using the qualification code feature.
In order to create a learning path you will need to have been given permissions in the learning paths section
With this permission set you will see a button displaying 'create new path' at the top of the learning paths page.
When creating the learning path there will be a series of fields to fill out:
- Learning Path Title - The name of the path you wish to create
- Qualification Code - The most important factor of linking all items within the LMS though mostly important when creating steps as seen below. Allows certain items within the LMS to link to one another
- Description/Abstract - An overview of the learning path
- Days to complete - Setting a deadline to users upon enrolling in the path if they have not completed it after the amount of days specified the user will recieve a notification for every day after the deadline as a reminder
- Status - The current condition of the learning path, whether or not it should be considered live
- Path Image - A thumbnail for the learning path
- Points - Allows you to define a required pass mark for the learning path. This can't be applied immediately as you need to define points to steps in your path before adding a required pass mark. You will have to revisit this option if you choose to add a pass mark.
- Permissions - As per all applications in Claromentis this will allow you to define certain groups of users with varying levels of control within the learning path
With the initial details for your learning path added you can press the save button which will take you directly into the learning path you have just created.
As seen in the picture above although the path has been created, there is no content applied to the learning path. In order to add content it is required to create a series of Path Steps within the path. This can be done by selecting the Path Steps tab at the top of the screen. You will also notice a Participants tab which will allow you to add users to the learning path if they do not join independently. (This tab will only appear if you have selected the live status within the learning path details.)
On the Path Steps tab you will see a list of any existing steps within the main syllabus and the futher learning sections of this learning path. You will also see an option to add new steps to the learning path.
When you choose to add a step to the path you will again be given a series of options similar to the path itself:
- Step Name - What the step will be called
- Description - A brief explanation of what this step contains
- Requirement - This determines if the step has to be completed in order to finish the overall path. 'Mandatory' means this step has to be completed even if the required pass mark is achieved without completing this step, where as 'non mandatory' and 'further learning' are considered optional content.
- Qualification Code - Allows you to link a piece of learning material to the step. In order to do this the qualification code given at this point must match the qualification code of an event, course or quiz.
- Please note: You should never have the qualification code of the learning path match with one of the steps, you should also have unique qualifications codes for every step within the learning path.
- Points - As mentioned above points are used to enable a pass mark for the learning path allowing for optional steps in your path
Once the correct information has been applied, press save to create the step within your learning path.
You can repeat this multiple times to generate a full in-depth path using all the content features of the LMS.