Documents in Claromentis can be updated whenever required. New versions replace the old rather than uploading as a new item completely. The audit log and version history that run in conjuction with this function records all changes clearly. This is key for keeping documents up to date and allows information to be reviewed frequently.
When a document is originally uploaded it is given the "Version 1" label. Every iteration of the document that is uploaded after this will be labelled sequentially. The history tab shows each version ever created and can have a comment explaining the changes made at each stage. This is a great way to keep on top of necessary improvements to literature, as well as help highlight what improvements are needed for the next version.
Please note: A user needs 'View', "edit & approve' as well as 'edit metadata' permissions for a folder at minimum to be able to upload files, otherwise they cannot edit the properties of the documents kept within.
Go to Applications > Documents and navigate to the document you wish to edit.
Image 1 - Document list and version number displayed
Select the your chosen document by clicking on its name or click the small arrow on the right side of the screen as shown in Image 1.
- A drop down menu will appear, select from the list "View properties".
- Both methods will take you to the screen shown in Image 2.
Image 2 - Preview document screen and drop down menu
The document you have selected will be shown in a preview that takes up most of the screen.
- There is an option to download the document straight from this view.
- There are also icons allowing to download as PDF or as a Zip file.
- Overview - (To the right of the document preview) Gives a short summary list of the audit log, last viewed by who, review date, owner/author of documents.
- Comments - If this has been toggled on in the document properties, other users can comment on the document once uploaded. Latest comments will be visible here.
From the drop down menu on the right there are various options.
- Edit properties - Takes you to the screen shown in user guides "Uploading A Document" and "Document Metadata". Allows extra information about a document to be added.
- View/edit permissions - Assign access rights to users/role/group. Option to inherit the rights from the parent folder (to save having to input this for each new document in the folder). As seen in the user guide "Creating a folder and "Creating Folder Structure".
- Delete - Delete document and send to trash. The document will be held in the trash for 30 days. It can be restored in this time frame but will be automatically deleted when 30 days has elapsed.
- Set reminder - Input a date that a notification reminder will be sent to you in Claromentis messenger.
- Start monitoring document - Ensure you are notified of any changes to the document, including if it has been checked out or a new version is uploaded. Notifications will continue until monitoring is turned off.
- Notify me when updated - Receive a notification when the next change only is made to the document.
- Send notification - Send a notification in that instance to users on the intranet with an instruction/note.
- Send link by email - This will open up the email on your computer with a link to the document ready to send.
- View audit log - A history of any and all changes that have occurred with the document.
- View version history - If there have been multiple versions uploaded a list will appear here with a date and time each version was uploaded.
Editing A Document
Any changes made to a document can be carried out on your computer and then be re-uploaded into Claromentis. Instead of deleting the previous version you can replace it instead. This creates a trail of data and a clear log of the documents history. There are two methods of replacing a document. Checking it out/in or renewing it. Both can be done directly in Claromentis.
Document check out/in
Checking out a document means that user is working on a new version of the document. Image 3 shows the pop up that appears when this is clicked.
Image 3 - Check out pop up with option to not download document
- If a document is checked out other users will still be able to access and read that version.
- However another user will not be able to check it out themselves, instead to the right of the document preview will be a note displaying the user who has the document checked out.
- There is the option not to download the document upon check out. If you have already been working on a new version on your computer you may not need to download the current one stored in the Intranet.
- Once you have edited your document and are ready for upload, click on the check in button that is now displayed.
Image 4 - Check in button allows you to upload a new document version
A pop up will appear with the option to upload your document.
- You can check in the document as a draft if required.
- It is recommended to add a description in the "note" box. This should outline any changes or additions to the document that distinguishes it from the previous version.
- This note will show up in the audit log as well as alongside the document preview.
- Choose whether to send out a notification to users that your new version is available.
- Especially handy if you are collaborating with another user on the project or are meeting a deadline for them.
- Once you have filled out all relevant information, click "Check in".
Image 5 - Pop up to upload edited document note has been added to distinguish differences
You will be returned to the document preview screen, as shown in Image 6.
- Now the document version is displayed as "Version 2". This will also be reflected in the audit log along with the user's name who uploaded it.
- The note added in the upload screen now appears in the document preview.
- The document is now available to be checked out again and repeating this process will label the next iteration of the document as "Version 3" and so on.
- If you click on "Version History" from the drop down menu shown in Image 2, you can see a log of all uploads of this document. Image 7 shows this screen.
Image 6 - Version 2 of this document has been uploaded along with comment
Image 7 - Version history screen
A fast way to upload a new version of a document is to click on renew document icon, shown in Image 2.
(If you cannot see the icon, you can enable the feture. Go to Application > Admin > Documents > General Configuration. Toggle "Allow renewal of documents without checking out" to on.)
- The same pop up shown in Image 5 will appear when using this method.
- Renewing a document allows a quick upload without having to check it out first.
- It is better to use the "Check out/in" method if you wish to prevent anyone else from uploading a new version.
- For example, if only a few minor changes are being made, you may wish to just renew the document.
- If the document is going to take a while to amend and you dont want any other users being able to change it in the mean time, checking out the document first enables only one user to be working on the document. Other users will know that they cant amend the document themselves so the control is with the checked out user.